The buildings, equipment and Mosquito bombers still at Narromine two years after the war are sold off. Local farmers bought the Mosquitos for 15 pounds each, or 65 pounds with engines fitted, and towed them to their properties to cannibalise for parts. Pieces of Mosquito are still being recovered from the local properties.
Martin Warner of the Sydney Gliding Club flies from Narromine into the heart of a cumulonimbus cloud, and is thrust up to a record height of 23,500 feet. He survives to tell the tale, although his Slingsby Gull glider is worse for wear in the resulting crash landing. A piece of the glider is displayed.
The Dubbo Gliding Club, formed in 1950, flies its first glider. The ‘Venture’ was built over a three year period under the Dubbo Showground pavilion. In 1975, the club moved to Narromine and became the Orana Soaring Club. Displayed in the museum is the Venture’s rudder.
Tragedy in the sky over Narromine, when two Tiger Moths collide. The Aero Club’s chief flying instructor Neil Johnston, a WW2 Mosquito veteran, and three others die in the crash. The museum displays a collection of his memorabilia.
Qantas’ Lockheed Super Constellations are by now a regular sight at Narromine. By the late 1940s the RAAF has vacated the the aerodrome, making way for the aero club to re-established itself with a flying school, and in the early 50s) for Qantas to move in. Under Department of Civil Aviation control, Narromine becomes an alternative international airport to Sydney’s Mascot, and a Qantas pilot training facility. Its stay is to last some 20 years (Photo by Alf Aiken, courtesy Ron Cuskelly).
Narromine Aero Club opens a new club house, construction from relocated wartime huts. The building was moved 100 metres in 2003, after the museum was completed.